Monday, April 2, 2012

The Hunger Games Addiction!

I have to admit, I am soooo not a reader but with all the crazy attention around The Hunger Games I finally got suckered into buying the books....thanks Michelle for introducing me to riveting teen literature lol! Normally, I would just skip the books and take people's word for them being good and enjoy a big bowl of buttered popcorn sitting in a comfortable red chair at the movie theater. No joke, I haven't picked up a book to read "for fun" since I was probably 10 and I think it was the Goosebumps books by R.L. Stein. Personally, I would rather watch a trashy reality TV show than read... Yes, this is super embarrassing to admit but they are just so intriguing and make me feel better about myself :)
So, for me to READ an actual book and not a gossip magazine is quite an accomplishment!

Last Sunday, I strolled into Walmart and bought the first book of the trilogy, The Hunger Games. Stupid me decided to buy the books right as opening weekend of the movie was going on so they didn't even have the second or third books, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. Hunger Games Marketing-1, Allie-0.  At least I had the first book to start with and if it sucked then I would feel better about not getting the other two.  Well, of course that plan went down the crapper. I brought it home and couldn't put it down. I was so wrapped up in it even John thought I was crazy. I remember him saying, "So does this mean you're actually going to be a reader now??" I just laughed because he was totally right! Even I was in shock that I was SO into this book and was even passing up trashy reality TV for it!!! WHO AM I??!! I ended up finishing it within a few days and strolled back into Walmart to pick up the next book. It's sitting on my desk screaming at me to read it so I will probably start tonight. I must be going crazy because I'm actually dying to start the second one :) If anyone of you haven't read it, I would definitely recommend picking it up. I loved that it was constantly keeping my attention and making me continue to the next chapters even after telling myself I would stop. That's when you know it's a good book. Next step, is to go see the movie and see how well it compares to the books. I'm not going to get my hopes up but at least Peeta will be easy on the eyes :) I'll keep you updated on the next two books and may the odds be ever in your favor!


XOXO Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment